Tuesday, July 3, 2012

DIY Kids Furniture


Since it's really been to hot here in Kansas to do much cooking (or anything else for that matter), I thought I would share with you how I made my favorite piece of furniture in my entire house. 

It's my favorite for a few reasons: 
1) ORGANIZATION! Allie has always had a knack for sorting things (almost an obsession) so she does an amazing job keeping all of her toys organized and in the bins. 

2) FUN! She loves having a mirror to sing and dance into... although we do have to be a little careful with our drama queen. We have actually had to put a blanket over the mirror a couple of times because she practices her fake cry in front of it. 

3) SUPER CUTE! She loves decorating it and hanging all her things up. She asks me to change out the little figurines on top every couple of weeks which also helps keep them from being on the floor and getting stepped on.


So here;s how I did it: 

I had purchased the cubby shelf a couple years ago at Target (Check it out here!). They normally sell for about $50 (but I got mine on sale for $30) and come in different sizes. You can also buy the bins there too (usually about $7)... but if you keep an eye out in the dollar section they have them there for $2.50 on occasion. They are a little less sturdy but work just as good.

The mirror was in the house when we moved in. It looks like it had gone on a dresser at some point but the dresser wasn't here. It sat around in the storage shed for a long time because I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. When Allie started dancing I thought she would like to watch herself in the mirror so I taped the glass off and spray painted it white (it was black). It took a few layers and took me ALL day because I had to let it dry between layers. The mirror then was attached to the wall at floor level for awhile until I started running out of space in her room and decided to combine these two.


I knew right away that I was going to love this! 

I found some brackets in the tool chest and attached them to the top of the mirror and then to the wall. 
I realize they aren't that attractive but they are WAY above my head so I don't really care.
I'm sure you could find some way to hide them if you needed to. 
My main concern was safety... this mirror is seriously heavy and I don't want it tipping over on anyone. 

I added some of these nifty little hooks to the sides of the mirror to hang necklaces and other fun things from. Even more storage!!! YAY!!

Added all of Allie's toys (okay, not ALL but seriously can fit most of them in here) and 
VOILA!

Anytime her toys start out growing the bins and shelves we go through and thin them out. I throw away the broken ones or ones that are missing pieces (I usually do this without consulting her). I talk with her about the ones she doesn't use much anymore and let her decide if she wants to donate them. She will actually come to be on her own sometimes and say "Mama, I think we can give this toy to another kid because I don't need it anymore."




No comments:

Post a Comment